Friday, May 23, 2008

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing (2008)


The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing (2008)So The Ting Tings' We Started Nothing was released. There's been a lot of hype about them, and unfortunately that tends to mean that the actual music leaves something to be desired. Thankfully though, The Ting Tings are fab and have delivered a solid electro-pop album!

'Great DJ' starts the album off strong with its driven, ultra-catchy sing-along chorus. Like I noted earlier, the song is just the right side of annoying. You either love it or hate it, I guess. 'That's Not My Name' pops up next with an anthemic chorus, epic ending, and some fierce lyrics (the title lyric; the 'are you callin' me darlin'?' bit). Love this track!

'Fruit Machine' took a few listens to get me hooked. Once I got into it, though, I found a lot to love about it. It's a nifty little track with great bass and punky cries of 'ka-ching! ka-ching!'. It sort of reminds me of the Robots In Disguise's sound, which can only be a good thing! 'Traffic Light' comes next and is the closest thing to a slow song on the album. It's a simply played song, with lovely, almost tender vocals.

More fierceness appears in the form of 'Shut Up And Let Me Go,' a kicky tune with an awesome guitar riff, lots of attitude, and that great bit that proclaims 'I ain't freakin', I ain't fakin' this.' The next two tracks, The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing (2008)'Keep Your Head' and 'Be The One,' are probably the weakest of the bunch. 'Keep Your Head' works fine but just doesn't have the same 'oomph' as the rest of the tracks, and 'Be The One' is simply forgettable. No worries, though, as 'We Walk' picks the album back up with its pretty piano intro and punchy, bass-heavy beats. It's a funky track that's understated but makes an impression on you. Perhaps it's a little long at 4:04, but that's only a tiny complaint!

'Impacilla Carpisung' (what?) is up next and though I can't figure out what the heck is being sung, I like it! It's kind of minimal-electro-tribal with what sounds like nonsense words. And somehow, it works! The album's closing track, 'We Started Nothing,' is an energetic, funky jam that is actually rather epic. I imagine that this would be great fun played live!

And so, The Ting Tings have turned out to be a cool duo with even cooler tunes. This album is definitely going to be part of my summer 2008 soundtrack! :)

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing (2008)We Started Nothing (2008) (m4a)
1. Great DJ 3:23
2. That's Not My Name 5:12
3. Fruit Machine 2:54
4. Traffic Light 2:59
5. Shut Up and Let Me Go 2:52
6. Keep Your Head 3:23
7. Be The One 2:58
8. We Walk 4:05
9. Impacilla Carpisung 3:41
10. We Started Nothing 6:22

Enjoy! Cheery bye, Scarlett

The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing (2008)

No comments: