Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Kylie Tale


A Kylie TaleAs I was listening to the reissue of Kylie Minogue's 1994 album, Kylie Minogue, I was reminded of a rather formative moment from when I was about sixteen or so. I was telling a friend from a Doctor Who forum on AIM about how I had received two Kylie reissues in the mail and was excited to listen to them. This friend was very kind at the time but later turned out to be a tosser. I should have known when, after telling him, he scoffed. Scoffed! 'Kylie Minogue?!' he laughed. And poor naive little 16-year-old that I was, I was embarrassed a bit. Was it silly to be a Kylie fan?

Then soon after, when instant messaging another friend from the forum (I didn't get out much, obviously!), the topic of music came up. I hesitantly, sheepishly said I liked Kylie but that I knew that wasn't really cool. And that person typed some words that have remained true to this day for me about Kylie and music in general: 'There's nowt wrong with Kylie.'

Honestly, I'm not exactly a pushover. Usually I'd have just brushed that Kylie scoff off, but you know how insecure you get during those awkward teen years (and I was certainly an awkward teen!). I think that even without that second person's validation, I'd have realized pretty soon that there really isn't anything wrong with being a Kylie fan. Or a fan of any artist. But that person maybe quickened the process, and gave me a great phrase to use too!

It's true, too. There's nowt wrong with Kylie. There's nowt wrong with listening to and loving any artist. Music snobs are the worst and should be ignored. If it makes you happy, if it means something to you, if it makes you shake a tail feather - then be proud of your tunes! :)

Cheery bye, Scarlett

A Kylie Tale

No comments: