Friday, June 13, 2008

Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)


Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)When I listen to Madonna's Confessions On A Dance Floor, I feel inspired to shake my booty. Of course I don't actually do this - I'm far too lazy to get up and dance! ;) Confessions is pretty magical even if you're not a dancing queen, though.

Released in 2005, the album was seen as something of a return to form after the poorly received American Life. I loved that album, but I was glad to see Madonna doing a pure dance/pop album. I can't recommend Confessions enough; it really is a fantastic album.

'Hung Up' kicks the album off in brilliant style. I remember hearing clips of it for the first time and thinking it sounded kinda melodically static, but I've since fallen deeply in love with the track. This is a song to be listened to turned up LOUD! 'Get Together' is not my favorite track on the album but it has a great energy to it, so I can't hate on it. 'Sorry' is tailor made for sweating it out on the dance floor and if you close your eyes, you can see the glimmer of the disco ball. Speaking of disco, 'Future Lovers' takes Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' synths and beefs them up for the 21st century. Love this track - it's rather quietly epic.

Madonna declares her love for The Big Apple in 'I Love New York,' a song with attitude and big, buzzing synths. Strings that hearken back to the 'Papa Don't Preach' introduction lead us into 'Let It Will Be,' a fierce, minimalist dance track with that great 'Just watch me burn' lyric. Things slow down a bit with 'Forbidden Love' (no relation to the identically titled track from Bedtime Stories), a wispy, delicate electro track. A beautiful little song.

All right, time to head back to the dance floor. 'Jump' sounds like a distant relative of Pet Shop Boys' 'West End Girls' and is a fab 'hands-in-the-air' type of tune. 'How High' is probably not the strongest track on the album but I really love it. It has a harsher sound than the rest of the perfectly produced album and contemplative (well, as contemplative as Madonna is gonna get on a pure dance album!) lyrics. The next track, 'Isaac', is one that I'm always tempted to skip, but I tend not to because I like to get the whole album experience - yeah, I'm weird like that! Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)It had the potential to be brilliant but the production is just too lightweight. It would be interesting to hear this done as an acoustic number.

'Push' is, I think, about Madonna's relationship with God. Don't let that scare you away! 'Push' has an excellent beat and a cool chorus and flows well into the last track, 'Like It Or Not.' Stomping/clapping beats, finger-picked guitar, and neat synths make this closing song something rather special. Declarative lyrics like 'I'm never gonna stop' give the song a bit of an edge. A fine way to end a fabulous album.

If you like good music, check out Confessions On A Dance Floor! :)

Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005) (m4a CD rip)
Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)1. Hung Up
2. Get Together
3. Sorry
4. Future Lovers
5. I Love New York
6. Let It Will Be
7. Forbidden Love
8. Jump
9. How High
10. Isaac
11. Push
12. Like It or Not

Enjoy! Cheery bye, Scarlett

Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Floor (2005)

No comments: